Thursday, July 23, 2026

'Workforce Pell' kicks off, but colleges find that few programs qualify - Elissa Nadworny, NPR

To qualify, programs must meet length and time parameters (between eight and 14 weeks and between 150 and 599 instructional hours), train for an in-demand field and demonstrate earnings and job placements. But like thousands of existing workforce training programs, this CNA class at St. Paul College doesn't quite meet those qualifications: It is only 112 hours. In fact, none of St. Paul College's workforce programs do. "I think maybe a year ago, I was living in a world where I was like, 'Oh my gosh, July 1 is going to be so great, and we're just going to start handing out money to people,'" says Jennifer Huston, the executive director of workforce training at St. Paul College. "Slowly, as we got closer and closer to July 1, you realize, nope, it's going to take us a while to get there." All across the country, community colleges are finding many of their workforce training programs are too short or too long or just don't fall within the allotted hours.