Thursday, April 6, 2017

Lifelong - online courses help with second careers - Korea Herald

Shim Jae-chul, 57, had a new way to make a living when he lost his job three years ago. To restart his career, Shim chose to take online courses to obtain an electrician’s certificate. “I had to find a new job to support my family. However, people who are old like me have problems learning as quickly as young people,” Shim said. “Online courses let me review materials repeatedly. I can even slow down the speed (of the lectures), which is great!” Over 140 web-based courses from local universities such as Seoul National University and KAIST provide free learning to students, regardless of age or nationality. “As of February 2017, more than 125,000 users have learned via K-MOOC,” Suh Heon-joo, executive director of K-MOOC said. “Our system helps students to engage in interactive learning such as discussions, quizzes and offline activities. http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170324000820