Sunday, April 30, 2017

Back to the Future of Edtech: A Meditation - John O’Brien, EDUCAUSE

Understanding the past is important, and thinking about the future is fundamentally human, but more fascinating still is the combination, the history of the future. Ultimately, as I position myself at the crossroads between the past and the future... I imagine that it is possible that artificial intelligence developments in the years ahead might well improve learning without turning the keys to the kingdom over to Tay, the Microsoft chatbot who went from “humans are super cool” to holocaust-denying racist in a day. I imagine it is possible that personalized and adaptive learning could well preserve that which is sacred in the faculty-student relationship, freeing faculty to focus on what matters most. After all, what I cherish most about the colleges and universities I have attended are the human connections. https://www.educause.edu/interactive/2017/4/back-to-the-future-of-edtech/