Sunday, August 21, 2016

Underground university: Bay Area teachers beam secret online classes to Iran - Katy Murphy, Mercury News

Banned from college in Iran because of her Baha'i faith, Niknaz Aftahi risked everything to learn, studying architecture at a storied underground university that moved from living room to living room, at times meeting at her family's home in Tehran. Now in the Bay Area, with a master's degree and architecture job, Aftahi is repaying her debt of gratitude, offering the same hope to the next generation of Baha'i students. She is part of a growing network of mostly Baha'i faculty locally and around the world who teach and mentor the students from afar, for free. "Just the fact that I feel like I'm contributing a little bit brings me a lot of satisfaction and happiness," she said. "Some of my students are such good designers and when I teach them, I really want to do my best because I feel like I'm the only resource they have." http://www.mercurynews.com/education/ci_30245999/underground-university-bay-area-teachers-beam-secret-online